- International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2018 observed globally
On the occasion of the 2018 International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Fourth National Awards for outstanding services in the field of Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drug) Abuse to the institutions and individuals.
- Ministry of Women and Child Development to organize POSHAN Abhiyaan TECH-THON
It will showcase and familiarise the people towards the initiative, exchange ideas to explore avenues of cooperation and partnerships for technology support, as well as, reach-out to the beneficiaries for effective behavioral change to initiate a ‘Peoples Movement’ or ‘Jan Andolan’ towards Nutrition.
- 51 Lakh houses sanctioned in three years of its implementation under PMAY (Urban)
The States of Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Jharkhand, and Chhattisgarh are among the best performing States. Such unprecedented performance is due to the innovative architecture of the scheme where flexibility has been given to the States/UTs to approve the projects.
- India, Seychelles sign 6 MoUs for cooperation in various fields
Seychelles President Danny Antoine Rollen Faure is on his first bilateral visit to India. The visit comes just days after Faure said that a joint project with New Delhi to develop a naval base at Assumption Island in his country would not move forward.
- Supreme Court notifies new roster for judges
• Following the retirement of Justice J. Chelameswar, the Supreme Court on June 24, 2018 notified a new roster for the allocation of cases to judges, which will come into effect from July 2, 2018.
• The Bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra will hear all public interest litigation petitions, besides pleas on social justice, elections, habeas corpus and contempt of court.
• Justice Ranjan Gogoi, the senior most judge after the Chief Justice, will deal with labour laws, indirect taxes, personal law and company law cases.
• The notification lists the matters that will be heard by Benches headed by the CJI and 10 other judges — Gogoi, Lokur, Joseph, AK Sikri, SA Bobde, NV Ramana, Arun Mishra, AK Goel, RF Nariman and AM Sapre.
• The roster was put in the public domain for the first time in February 2018 after Justices Chelameswar, Gogoi, M.B. Lokur and Kurian Joseph held a press meeting in January 2018 questioning the allocation of sensitive petitions and crucial cases to judges junior to them.
- President Tayyip Erdogan returns to power in Turkey
• President Recep Tayyip Erdogan won a new five-year term after securing outright victory in the first round of Turkey’s Presidential poll.
• Erdogan received the absolute majority of all valid votes.
• With 99 percent of votes counted, Erdogan won 53 percent votes and his closest rival Muharrem Ince won 31 percent.
• The final results will be announced on June 29, 2018.
Archery World Cup: Deepika Kumari clinches the gold medal
• In Archery, Deepika Kumari clinched a gold medal in the women’s recurve event at stage three of World Cup in Salt Lake City of the US.
• Deepika defeated Michelle Kroppen of Germany by 7-3.
• With this win, the four-time World Cup final silver medalist has automatically qualified for the Archery World Cup Final to be held in Samsun, Turkey in 2018.
• Tan Ya-Ting of Chinese Taipei won the bronze medal after beating Gabriela Bayardo of the Netherlands in four sets.
• In the medal standings, India finished fourth behind US, Colombia and Chinese Taipei with a gold, silver, and bronze each in the penultimate stage of the World Cup.