TN government sets up 24-hour helpline for inter-caste couples
• The Tamil Nadu government informed the Madras High Court that a 24-hour helpline has been set up to investigate issues faced by inter-caste couples and offer them necessary assistance and protection.
• A special cell has been formed in all districts and cities in the state, comprising district-level officers such as superintendent of police and deputy commissioner of police at the city level, to receive complaints of harassment and threat to inter-caste couples.
• There is an online complaint registration facility in both the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems.
• The complaints can be sent to the jurisdictional police station online.
India, US to hold first ‘2+2 dialogue’ on September 6: US State Department
• The inaugural ‘two-plus-two dialogue’ between India and the US will be held on September 6, 2018 in New Delhi. The announcement was made by the US State Department.
• The US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defence Secretary James Mattis will attend the dialogue.
• Last month, the US had postponed the much-awaited dialogue due to “unavoidable reasons.”
• The dialogue was announced in 2017 during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s meeting with President Donald Trump at the White House.
• After June 2017, the two countries have tried to schedule the dialogue many times with several dates having been considered.
Turkey lifts state of emergency after 2 years
• In Turkey, the state of emergency came to an end on July 19, 2018.
• The emergency was imposed in the country after a failed coup two years ago.
• President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared emergency on July 20, 2016, five days after warplanes bombed Ankara and clashes broke out in Istanbul that claimed 249 lives.
• Under Turkey’s constitution, emergency provision lasts three months which can be extended seven times.
10th edition of Delhi Dialogue held in New Delhi
• The 10th edition of the Delhi Dialogue began in New Delhi.
• The theme of the event was ‘Strengthening India-ASEAN Maritime Co-operation’.
• Political leadership, officials, diplomats, business leaders, think-tanks and academicians from India and the ASEAN Member States participated in Event.
• The ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) is a group of 10 nations headed by the General Secretary Lim Jock Hoi.
India’s first ‘Two-Wheeler Mode’ in Google Maps expands to Asia
• The two-wheeler mode in Google Maps that first arrived in India in 2017 has now been extended to Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
• To be first available for Android users, the motorcycle-specific navigation will help bikers find the most suitable routes in these countries.
• In December 2017, Google incorporated navigation routes for two-wheelers with Voice Assistant capabilities in its Maps feature in India.
• The new travel mode in Google Maps is seen alongside Drive, Train or Bus and Walk alternatives.
• The two-wheeler mode in Maps shows trip routes that use “shortcuts” not accessible to cars and trucks. It also provides customised traffic and arrival time estimations.